Saturday, August 8, 2009

Piper on Preaching

I was reading a post by Josh Harris about Tweeting in Church (incidently I do not Tweet or follow anyone on Twitter or even really know much about it) and followed a link to this post by John Piper about Not Using Twitter During Worship. Surprisingly (or maybe not since I don't use Twitter) what stood out to me had nothing to do with the main topic. I thought that Piper's description of the preaching and hearing of God's word were more than worth repeating. I hope you get as much from them as I did.

Preaching and hearing preaching are worship. Preaching is expository exultation. The preacher is explaining the Bible and applying the Bible and EXULTING over the truth in the Bible. The listener is understanding, and applying, and joining in the exultation. Hearing preaching is heart-felt engagement in the exposition and exultation of the Word of God.

We're at the hospital having Baby Grace right now (assuming this posted when it was supposed to!) so look for updates in the near future.

No comments: