Thursday, March 27, 2014

Sugar Free Kids - Breakfast


    Good morning!!!  So much for getting up regular posts huh?  I've been swamped with pattern testing, sewing up custom orders and then the stomach bug.  So not fun!  So, I have some sewing posts that will be up in the next few days but about a week ago we decided to cut ALL refined sugar out of my daughter Kessa's diet.  I'm doing Trim Healthy Mama so I had already cut it out of my own but getting it all out of my daughter's has been a bit more challenging.  Especially since we're still letting the other kids have some (although they are having significantly less just by proxy.)  I've found breakfasts to be the most challenging so far because our kids usually eat store bought bagels or Chobani yogurt tubes...both of which have sugar in them.

I'm going to start recording recipes here that have been tried and approved both to help out anyone interested and to make them easy to find for me later!  lol.  Also, if you're interested I've just started a pinterest board for sugar-free recipes that I haven't tried yet and also one that has been tried and approved (things will probably get posted there before here unless it's not a recipe I found on the net.)

This morning we had pancakes and strawberry sauce.  The kids all love it and Tim even likes it!  (If you're on THM the sauce is on-plan but you'll need to make the THM pancakes from the book to put it on.)



I have no idea where this pancake recipe originally came from.  It's one my mom always made when I was little that I've tweaked a bit to be more healthy.  

Whole Wheat Pancakes 

2 cups whole wheat flour (sometimes I grind my own and sometimes I use Wheat Montana Prarie Gold which I can buy at Walmart for only slightly more than regular white bleached all purpose flour.)
5 tsp baking powder
1tsp salt
a shake of pure stevia extract (or a packet of Truvia if you prefer) (the original recipe called for 3 tbsp of sugar)
2 eggs (we have free range farm fresh eggs thanks to my parents large flock of chickens!)
2 cups of milk
1/3 cup of melted butter

There are more complex directions in the original recipe but I've found that you can just melt the butter and then dump everything else in the same bowl and mix.  Cook on a hot, well greased griddle and enjoy!  

 Strawberry Sauce

I'm going to have to get better about measuring things but for now, this will have to suffice ;)  

1-2 cups of fresh or frozen strawberries (thaw them on the stove or in the microwave if using frozen)
sweetener of choice (again, I used just a shake of stevia extract)
thickener of choice (I used 1/2 tsp of xatham powder)
1/2 cup or more of liquid (I use juice if we have any on hand, otherwise I usually use almond milk, but I have even just used water)  

Mash the strawberries and then add everything to a pot or microwave safe bowl and heat stirring frequently.  Pour liberally over pancakes and enjoy!




Normally I would have made myself some THM pancakes but today I had too much else to do so I used the leftover Strawberry Sauce and tossed it in my blender along with some other goodies and had a shake!

Strawberry Shake 

Strawberry Sauce (or just strawberries and sweetener)
1/2 cup of cottage cheese (don't worry if you don't like cottage cheese, you can't taste it)
1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
ice 
liquid (if you need extra to get your blender to go)

Blend until smooth and then you can drink your breakfast while you work!  I'm still sipping mine as I type.  

No comments: