Thursday, July 3, 2008

Homemaking...

I've been thinking a lot lately about that little word and all that it entails and all that God has called me to be and do under that title. Sometimes I get caught up in the "after then's" and I'm guessing if you're a SAHM you do too. You know...After X happens THEN I can really start serving God. As if THIS time right now...all the diapers and Pooh Bear and nursing....aren't the ways He's called me to serve Him NOW. This article on the Girl Talk blog was very helpful to me the other day when it came to this particular problem.

You see...I tend to be a gal of extremes. Because I love scrapping and such I think I need to be doing it all the time...sometimes to the detriment of my family and the High Calling of Homemaking God has placed on my life. Praise Him for conviction and continual sanctification. He has been opening my eyes to my extremes and the ways my life and my family suffer because of them. Scrapping...as with all good gifts from above, falls under the heading of "all things in moderation." Why is that so hard? (leave me a comment if you've got any tips!)

And finally I'll leave you with a quote from Dorothy Patterson that was very enlightening and a good reminder for me today. (You can check out the rest of the article here.) “Homemaking—being a full-time wife and mother—is not a destructive drought of usefulness but an overflowing oasis of opportunity; it is not a dreary cell to contain one’s talents and skills but a brilliant catalyst to channel creativity and energies into meaningful work; it is not a rope for binding one's productivity in the marketplace, but reins for guiding one's posterity in the home; it is not oppressive restraint of intellectual prowess for the community, but a release of wise instruction to your own household; it is not the bitter assignment of inferiority to your person, but the bright assurance of of the ingenuity of God's plan for the complementarity of the sexes, especially as worked out in God's plan for marriage; it is neither limitation of gifts available nor stinginess in distributing the benefits of those gifts, but rather the multiplication of a mother's legacy to the generations to come and the generous bestowal of all God meant a mother to give to those He entrusted to her care."

And now that it is officially after midnight...HAPPY 4th of July!!!!!!!!!

No comments: